Welcome to our most up to date SAGADA TRAVEL GUIDE. This blog submit incorporates the essential travel ideas including methods to get there, what excursions to take, where to remain, and the way a lot finances to organize. We also included a pattern SAGADA ITINERARY that you could be use as mannequin when building your personal. Comfortable planning!
Once I take into consideration Sagada, I take into consideration my good friend Tonet.
“Let’s go to Sagada,” she stated one time at movie faculty. Back then, I didn’t know much about Sagada aside from as a setting of a Juday-Piolo movie. Tonet needed to make her own romantic comedy too, perhaps set in Sagada; she wasn’t positive. But she needed to only go, see, and maybe be impressed by it.
Through the years, she would always, randomly squeeze Sagada into conversations. “I really want to go there,” she would mumble. Every time, I might reply, “Sure, when we find the time and money.”
The money and time ultimately got here just after Christmas 9 years ago. Tonet was a humble script supervisor with nothing but massive goals in her pockets. Lastly, she was within the presence of Sagada and she or he embraced every tiny second of it. She walked up and down its terraced mountains, went deep into its caves, and at a bonfire social gathering, danced drunk with locals with reckless abandon. I assumed that was it, that it was the top of it. It turned out, it was just the start.
She would return repeatedly, every time with totally different companions and carrying a special piece of her. She’s now been to Sagada as a wild dreamer, as a loyal good friend, as a damaged lover. However someday, she set foot in Sagada as anyone she was destined to be — a movie director. It wasn’t until I noticed her movie, shot in Sagada, that I noticed that her affair with this city wasn’t only a easy fascination or infatuation and even obsession, it was something more powerful and transcendental. It was that thing referred to as tadhana.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
For youthful vacationers, Sagada is among the filming places of the romantic comedy That Factor Referred to as Tadhana. However the fact is, Sagada was already pretty in style among backpackers even before the film hit the theaters. I’ve been there multiple occasions earlier than the movie and there already was a considerable improve of tourists yr after yr. Because it turned simpler to access, as tours turned extra organized, and as a brand new wave of travelers sought more places to discover, Sagada was already on the trail to turning into mainstream.
Situated within the Mountain Province, Sagada is a fifth class municipality with only 11,000 residents as of 2015. Consider it as a small, barely developed village at the heart of the Cordillera. Life here is straightforward. Agriculture is the primary driver of the financial system, however tourism has been contributing significantly.
The city’s three major roads are flanked by inns, guesthouses, and restaurants catering to vacationers. It has a usually chilly local weather year-round, a lot colder than Baguio, something that draws domestic tourists. Except for the cooler temperature, it additionally has rather a lot to offer to adventurers, sightseers, and historical past buffs alike. It’s greatest recognized for the hanging coffins, waterfalls, and a community of caves. The good news is, the native government and the residents themselves are environment-conscious and have enforced certain laws.
Listed here are more bits about Sagada:
- Location: Mountain Province, Philippines.
- Language: Kankana-ey. But most locals, particularly tourism staff, are also very fluent in English and Tagalog.
- Foreign money: Philippine peso (PHP, ₱). PHP100 is around USD 1.90, EUR 1.69, SGD 2.57 (as of April 2019).
- Modes of cost: CASH continues to be king (and queen) in Sagada.
To begin with, let me simply say this: There are not any luxury lodges in Sagada. When you’re in search of a well-appointed suite with a gazillion of facilities, you’re not gonna discover one here. Virtually all out there accommodations in Sagada are inns, guesthouses, and homestays. It’s fairly widespread for friends to share rest room and loos with other visitors or with the residents. If the room has a personal rest room and tub, it’s often very small.
Now that we obtained that out of the best way, you must be acquainted with the format of the city proper. It’s straightforward to remember. Think of Sagada as an enormous letter Y. There are three principal roads that meet on the middle of the poblacion area. This junction is the primary bus cease of the city. It’s additionally the place you’ll discover the tourism office, the police station, and the municipal corridor. The city’s church can also be just a brief stroll away from this. You should use this junction as your reference level.
Now, going back to the Y. Listed here are the three roads that compose it.
- Staunton Street (North/East). In the event you’re coming from Baguio, Bontoc or Manila, this street that you simply’re taking to succeed in Sagada. This also leads to the access roads to Bomod-ok Falls, Marlboro Hill, and Kiltepan Viewpoint.
- West Street. Aka Sagada-Besao Street. This street will take you to Lake Danum and Sagada Pottery. When seen from the junction, this is an uphill street.
- South Street. This results in Barangay Dagdag and Demang, the place most well-known inns and restaurants in Sagada are situated. It’s also the one solution to Lumiang Cave and Sumaguing Cave. From the junction, this street runs downhill.
You’ll discover loads of inns and guesthouses flanking any of those roads. However I want staying along the South Street because most of my favorite eating places in Sagada are right here.
A twin or double room often costs P1200-P1400 per night time so this can be a good estimate. You can too discover a single room or bed for P600 per night time.
Listed here are the hostels and inns that you could guide by way of Agoda.
I have tried George Guesthouse and Residential Lodge alongside South Street, and Ligaya’s Inn and Cottages.
We’ve got an inventory of all accredited lodging with contact numbers right here: SAGADA HOSTELS, INNS & HOMESTAYS!
- 1 Manila to Sagada by Direct Bus
- 2 Manila to Sagada by way of Baguio
- 3 Baguio to Sagada by Bus
- 4 Sumaguing Cave
- 5 Cave Connnection (Lumiang Cave to Sumaguing Cave)
- 6 Bomod-ok Falls
- 7 Echo Valley and Hanging Coffins
- 8 Kiltepan Viewpoint (Briefly closed)
- 9 Marlboro Hill and Blue Soil Trek
- 10 Orange Choosing at Rock Farm
- 11 Different Sagada Points of interest
- 12 When is the most effective time to visit Sagada?
- 13 Is Sagada protected?
- 14 What sort of power plug / socket is used in Sagada?
- 15 What’s the tipping customized in Sagada?
- 16 Are there ATMs in Sagada?
Manila to Sagada by Direct Bus
Now you can travel instantly from Cubao to Sagada! Operated by Coda Strains, this bus can take you straight to Sagada in 12 hours, with a number of restroom stops alongside the best way. It takes the Banaue route (not Baguio).
There are two kinds of buses:
Super Deluxe, 35-seater bus with restroom onboard. Fare: P980.
Semi-Deluxe, 45-seater bus without restroom. Fare: P760.
All buses depart Cubao within the night after which drive by means of Banaue (not Baguio) to succeed in Sagada overnight. What I like about that is that you simply’re not wasting a day on the street. You’ll arrive in Sagada within the morning, hopefully ready to do some delicate sightseeing.
Right here’s the Coda Strains Cubao-Sagada timetable:
To e-book, visit www.codalinesph.com.
Manila to Sagada by way of Baguio
It’s also attainable to succeed in Sagada by way of Baguio. This includes a change of bus and terminal in Baguio City.
A lot of corporations supply bus providers to Baguio, but two of the preferred are Victory Liner and Joy Bus.
Victory Liner has terminals in:
JoyBus has terminals in:
To see the complete schedule and fares of JoyBus and Victory Liner buses, take a look at: MANILA TO BAGUIO BUS SCHEDULE.
Should you can, choose a late night time bus so that you’ll arrive in Baguio within the early morning because the last Sagada-bound bus leaves Baguio at either 11:30am or 01:00pm.
Once in Baguio, comply with the steps within the next part.
Baguio to Sagada by Bus
Sagada is 6 hours away from Baguio. There are two bus corporations that function this route: GL Trans and Lizardo Trans. GL Trans is extra extremely beneficial by my native buddies because they stated the buses are in better circumstances. I also haven’t tried Lizardo so we’ll be focusing on GL Trans in this publish.
Should you’re coming from Victory Liner/JoyBus station, hail a cab and ask to be taken to GL Trans Terminal. Taxi fare: round P80.
At the GL Trans terminal, strategy the counter and purchase a ticket instantly. Fare: P220.
Listed here are the schedule and routes as of this writing:
- 05:30 am – Sagada > Besau
- 08:30 am – Sagada Ambasing
- 09:30 am – Sagada > Besau
- 10:30 am – Sagada > Besau
- 11:30 am – Sagada Ambasing
- 01:00 pm (final trip) – Sagada > Besau
You’ll notice that a lot of the buses depart Baguio earlier than noon, so when you’re coming from Manila, you need to arrive in Baguio in the early morning with a view to catch a journey. In any other case, you’re gonna have hassle in search of one.
In our current trip, we arrived on the GL Terminal before 10am however the 11:30-bus was already absolutely booked. Luckily, there was still one other bus slated for a 1pm departure that day. We have been truly stunned to study it as a result of most on-line sources tag the 11:30-bus as the last journey. But the lesson here is, be early, especially in case you’re touring on a weekend.
Listed here are different reminders:
- Sagada Town Proper isn’t the final stop of any of these buses. Don’t fall asleep whenever you’re nearing Sagada. You may miss your stop and find yourself in Besau.
- Reservations and advance bookings are usually not accepted. They situation tickets for trips scheduled on that day solely.
- They begin promoting tickets at 5am. First come, first served.
- The bus makes no less than two stops.
- When you get hungry whereas waiting on your bus, there’s a Good Style department near the terminal. Good Style is a well-liked local restaurant in Baguio.
In relation to public transportation, your options are very restricted. You gained’t see that many jeepneys around city. Listed here are your options.
As for points of interest situated outdoors poblacion, you’ll be able to easily e-book a tour.
- To get to points of interest within town middle: Stroll! Fortunately, the city middle is sort of small and really walkable. Most eating places, cafes, inns, and memento outlets are situated not too removed from one another. There are some hilly elements, however a stroll around town is usually snug.
- To get to points of interest outdoors the city middle: Ebook a tour! Tourism operations in Sagada are very organized. Guests are required to have a guide once they explore. Your information can even organize your transportation to get to any vacation spot. Car charge is charged on prime of guide charge.
For more information about the excursions, learn the subsequent part.
The local government imposes fastened and uniform rates on tours and requires visitors to have a information when exploring. Whether you need to see Kiltepan, Lake Danum, Sumaguing Cave, Bomod-ok Falls and even Echo Valley, you MUST have a guide.
Therefore, earlier than you begin exploring, the very first thing it is best to do is drop by Sagada Tourism Office to register, pay the P50 tourism/environmental charge, and make some arrangements. If your inn is close to South Street, you can even go straight to the workplace of SAGGAS (Sagada Real Guides Affiliation) to guide your excursions. They will also deal with the registration and cost of tourism payment for you.
After registration, you ought to be given a receipt and you have to maintain it with you at all times during your stay. You’ll be requested to current it upon entry to certain points of interest.
Additionally word that car charge is separate from guide charge and entrance charges.
Anyway, listed here are the tours and corresponding charges.
Beneath Sagada is a network of greater than 60 caves, the most important of which is Sumaguing Cave, incomes its nickname “The Big Cave.” Inside are countless rock formations slowly shaped by nature over hundreds of years. These rock formations mimicking acquainted shapes are the spotlight of this spelunking journey. Some of these formations embrace the bear, elephants, turtle head, chocolate cake, and pregnant lady. It is perhaps these shapes (and the general expertise) that vacationers hold coming again to Sagada for. Sumaguing Cave is probably the preferred of all tourist points of interest on the town.
Put together to be wet and get bodily. Although it appears daunting, it’s not as troublesome as you could be considering. Simply comply with the instructions of your guide and also you’ll be fantastic.
The whole activity lasts around 2 hours.
- 1-4 pax: P800 (1 guide)
- 5 pax: P900 (1 information)
- 6-9 pax: P1600 (2 guides)
- 10 pax: P1800 (2 guides)
- 11-12 pax: P2400 (3 guides)
- 13 pax or extra: P200 per individual
Two-way transportation charge (non-compulsory): P350
➡️ MORE INFO: OUR SUMAGUING CAVE EXPERIENCE
Cave Connnection (Lumiang Cave to Sumaguing Cave)
Cave Connection is rather more difficult than Sumaguing Cave. It’s so referred to as as a result of it connects two of probably the most well-known caves in Sagada. The Cave Connection Tour begins at Lumiang Cave, a burial website the place a whole lot of coffins are stacked as a part of the native custom. After 3-Four hours, you’ll emerge out of Sumaguing Cave.
P1000 (good for 1-2 pax).
P500 per further individual
Two-way transportation (elective): P400
➡️ MORE INFO: OUR CAVE CONNECTION EXPERIENCE
Bomod-ok Falls or “Big Falls” in Sagada
Sagada has three waterfalls which are open to vacationers: Pongas, Bokong, and Bomod-ok. Of the three, Bomod-ok is the most important and tallest, which is why it’s nicknamed “Big Falls.”
You’ll stroll across mountains to succeed in it. The getting there’s fairly a challenge however this 200-ft cascade will ship. You’ll be balancing on the sting of the terraces while wallowing in the beautiful scenery. You might also choose to take a dip on the pool at the base of the waterfall. You may end up doing one thing new — vomit air — so convey a lot of water and power.
Guide Payment: P500 (good for 1-7 pax)
Barangay Payment: P10
Transportation Payment: P500-650
➡️ MORE INFO: OUR BOMOD-OK FALLS EXPERIENCE
Echo Valley and Hanging Coffins
The Echo Valley is the place you’ll discover Sagada’s famous hanging coffins. It lies simply next to the city middle. It’s a short stroll away from the Church of St. Mary the Virgin and thru the new cemetery. The path from the cemetery to the coffins has been made safer for hikers.
There are three trails you can take. All these will can help you see the hanging coffins, however the last two will take you to extra pure points of interest.
- ECHO VALLEY HANGING COFFINS TOUR. From the church, you’ll go on a short hike to the view level after which right down to the valley to see the coffins up shut.
Information payment: P300 for 1-10 pax; P400 for 11 pax; P600 for 12-20 pax.
Period: 1 hour.
- ECO TOUR. This can take you from the church to the hanging coffins to the underground river entrance to Bokong natural swimming pool via canyons and rice fields.
Guide charge: P800 for 1-10 pax; P1600 for 11-20 pax; P2400 for 12-30 pax.
Period: 3 hours.
- ADVENTURE TRAIL. From the church, this trail will lead you to the hanging coffins, Sagada Underground River, and Bokong Waterfall.
Information payment: P1000 for 1-10 pax; P100 per further individual.
Period: Three hours.
Kiltepan Viewpoint (Briefly closed)
Kiltepan Viewpoint is the preferred spot to catch the romantic Sagada sunrise. The fading darkness reveals a sea of white clouds blanketing the hills and the valleys under. As the solar inches from the horizon, the clouds part and reveal the magnificent terraces underneath.
The location was made even more well-known by the film That Factor Referred to as Tadhana. It’s evident within the variety of vacationers screaming their emotions out on prime of Kiltepan, harking back to one of many film’s most affecting scenes.
If you wish to catch the sunrise, you need to depart at 4:30am and drive for 15 minutes. A short hike will take you to the point of view.
Two-way transportation charge: P500 for 1-10 pax; P50 per further individual.
Word: Kiltepan is closed for now.
Marlboro Hill and Blue Soil Trek
As a result of Kiltepan is presently inaccessible, Marlboro Hill has develop into the go-to sunrise-viewing spot. It’s humorous because I was just there final week and there have been still vacationers shouting their emotions on the prime of their lungs a la That Factor Referred to as Tadhana although we have been on a totally totally different mountain peak.
To catch the sunrise and the sea of clouds, you should depart at Four:30 am or earlier and drive to the bounce off point. From there, you’ll be mountaineering for about 20 minutes to succeed in the point of view. There are also kiosks selling champorado, sopas, and arroz caldo on website.
Most visitors would just watch the sunrise, take pictures, after which hike back to where they got here from. But what we advocate is to proceed the trek to the Blue Soil Hill, regionally referred to as Kaman-utek. Along the best way, you’ll move by a number of scenic sites including extra spectacular viewpoints and limestone cliffs. It’s a downhill trek so it’s not that troublesome. Then, you’ll attain Blue Soil Hill, which will get its powder blue shade from the high quantities of copper sulfate in the soil. You possibly can take a relaxation here and have a quick chew.
The trek takes around 2 hours, relying in your pace. However the whole exercise from decide up and Marlboro sunrise to the top of the trek lasts Four-5 hours.
MARLBORO HILL ONLY
Guide Charge: P600 for 1-10 pax.
Two-way transportation payment: P650 (non-compulsory)
MARLBORO HILL + BLUE SOIL HILL
Information Payment: P1,600 for 1-5 pax; P1300 per further individual.
Two-way transportation charge: P1,350 (non-compulsory)
Orange Choosing at Rock Farm
This isn’t really a guided tour, however it’s a enjoyable exercise. When oranges are in season, you’ll be able to go to Rock Farm and go ponkan-picking.
Situated east of the town middle is a lodging and eating complicated composed of Rock Inn and Cafe Bodega. Of all the food locations in Sagada, Cafe Bodega, palms down has one of the best ambiance. We often have lunch right here once we’re in Sagada, and whereas waiting for our order, we might go to the orange plantation subsequent to it for a meet-and-greet with the poster fruit of Vitamin C!
I’m unsure how a lot the doorway payment is now, however as of 2017, it was P50. Whereas inside the premises, you’ll be able to eat as many oranges as you need. (That’s part of the P50 charge.) Then in the event you determine to have some for take out, that’s another P50 per kilo.
Different Sagada Points of interest
- Balangagan Cave. Situated 30 minutes from poblacion, this is another cave for enjoyable spelunking adventure. Guide charge: P650 for Four pax, P800 for 5 pax, P1300 for 6-9 pax. Transport payment: P650.
- Pongas Falls. Requires a 1-hour hike. Guide payment: P600 for 1-10 pax. Transport payment: P650.
- Lake Danum. A very good sunset-viewing spot 20 minutes from the town correct. Transport payment: P550 for 1-10 pax.
- Mt. Ampacao. A Three-hour traverse from the poblacion to Lake Danum to Mt. Ampacao. Information payment: P1200 for 1-10 pax.
We’ll be making a separate submit for this very soon!
As a result of excursions in Sagada are organized and well-regulated, it’s straightforward to build an itinerary. Yes, there are a whole lot of actions to attempt, however you possibly can group them into three major varieties: spelunking, waterfall chasing, and trekking. What I recommend is to select one from each category.
Additionally it is essential to note that the majority of those tours might be exhausting. Thoughts your pace. In the event you can, simply do one tour per day, ideally within the morning so that you don’t want to fret concerning the sun too much. Then, spend your afternoon simply chilling at a cafe and strolling round city. You may also add a go to to the Hanging Coffins to any day’s schedule since that is a simple and hike.
Here’s our sample Sagada itinerary. Observe that this assumes the next:
- You’re a gaggle of Four, splitting tour and transportation prices.
- You have got a lodging price range of P700 per individual per night time. A twin or double room often costs P1200-P1400 per night time so this can be a good estimate. You can too find a single room or bed for P600 per night time.
- You’re coming from Manila and taking a Coda Strains semi-deluxe bus. Fare is P760.
As all the time, be happy to make adjustments to this itinerary in response to your taste and no matter different issues you could have.
DAY 1: SUMAGUING CAVE
08:00 am – Arrival in Sagada, Bus fare: P760
08:15 am – Pay Tourism Payment, P50
08:45 am – Lodge examine in or bag drop
09:15 am – Breakfast at Salt and Pepper, P200
10:15 am – Depart for Sumaguing, Jeep: P87.50 (P350/4pax)
10:40 am – Sumaguing Cave, Guide: P200 (P800/4pax)
01:30 pm – Lunch at Gaia Cafe, P300
03:00 pm – Freshen up, relaxation, recharge
06:30 pm – Dinner at Sagada Brew, P300
08:00 pm – Back at inn
DAY 2: BOMOD-OK FALLS
06:30 am – Depart for Bomod-ok, Jeep: P162.50 (P650/4pax)
07:00 am – Bomod-ok Falls, P125 (P500/4pax) + P10 access payment
12:00 pm – Lunch at Yoghurt House, P250
03:00 pm – Echo Valley Tour: P75 (P300/4pax) + P10 entry charge
05:00 pm – Shop for souvenirs
07:00 pm – Dinner at Log Cabin, P300
08:30 pm – Back at inn
DAY Three: MARLBORO + BLUE SOIL HILLS
04:30 am – Depart for Marlboro Hill, Jeep: P337.5 (P1350/4pax)
05:00 am – Begin Trek, P400 (P1600/4pax)
06:00 am – Breakfast at Marlboro Hill, P70
06:30 am – Trek to Blue Soil Hill
09:30 am – Back to inn, bathe, pack, take a look at
11:00 am – Brunch at Lemon Pie Home, P200
01:00 pm – Attempt yoghurt and chill at Yoghurt Home, P120
03:30 pm – Walk to junction, anticipate bus
04:00 pm – Bus to Manila, P760
The itinerary above will set you again round P6300 (USD 122, SGD 165, EUR 108) per individual, excluding ideas/gratuities and purchasing expenses. Once more this is based mostly on the idea that you simply’re a gaggle of four.
The most important chunk of the fee above was spent on eating places, which may be expensive. A meal at a tourist-targeted resto performs inside the P200-300 vary per meal. But when you keep at an inn with a kitchen, you’ll be able to prepare dinner your personal meal.
When you restrict your meals expenses to P300 per day and take away the restos, the itinerary above will value you P5700 (USD 110, SGD 149, EUR 98) per individual.
- Keep at an inn or homestay with an open kitchen. This manner, you’ll be able to prepare dinner your personal meals on some days and scale back food bills. We as soon as shared a flooring with a family who would all the time prepare dinner their meals. Go attempt eating places every occasionally, but for those who money is tight, go prep your personal meals.
- Attempt road food. That is another strategy to scale back meals bills. Barbeque and isaw can be found for P10-15 per stick. Delicious selfmade yoghurt is bought at P35 per cup.
- Type a much bigger group. Tour charges depend upon how huge your group is. Usually, the bigger your group, the smaller the per-person value as a result of you’ve got extra members to split it with. In the event you’re a small celebration and you’re on a price range, you’ll be able to be a part of or merge with one other group to scale back value. For example, the information payment for Bomod-ok Falls Tour is P500 for 1-7 pax. In case you’re a party of two, that’s P250 per individual. However should you merge with different travelers and type a gaggle of 7, the price per individual is lowered to solely P72.
- Buy a gallon of water on your first day in Sagada. Ideally, convey your personal water bottle, however notice that restaurants in Sagada wouldn’t assist you to refill it with their water. So just buy an enormous container of water, deliver it to your room, and refill from there.
When is the most effective time to visit Sagada?
November to April. This is the driest and coolest interval, which is suitable for all of the outside actions. Nevertheless, anticipate quick, passing showers in late afternoon even within the dry season.
Bonfire Pageant. A great time to go to is the week between Christmas and New Yr. On in the future of that week, you’ll be able to be a part of the Bonfire Pageant where you get to satisfy other vacationers and even locals whereas partying Sagada-style. There’s buffet and overflowing local wines.
Nevertheless, that week is peak interval, so in the event you don’t like sharing Sagada with huge throngs of other tourists, you may need to cross up. Keep away from Holy Week, too.
June to September are the wettest months. The rain can make touring and trekking in Sagada troublesome, so keep away from this era too.
Is Sagada protected?
Sure, very protected.
The number of crime incidents per yr is just at a double-digit degree and most of them are about injury to automobiles which are parked alongside the street. Index crimes are very rare in Sagada. In line with our guides, the municipal prison is empty, but I wasn’t capable of affirm this.
Nevertheless, Sagada is an adventure vacation spot so you need to take additional care particularly when spelunking or trekking. You’re in the highlands, so anticipate numerous cliffs and ravines.
Listed here are essential numbers to keep:
- Sagada Police: +63 908 225 8115
- Sagada Hospital: +63 917 629 6084
- Emergency Response Group: +63 906 822 0044, +63 999 994 3282
What sort of power plug / socket is used in Sagada?
Electrical energy Information: 220V, 60Hz. Plug and socket Sort A.
What’s the tipping customized in Sagada?
Identical to somewhere else within the Philippines, tipping is just not obligatory in Sagada. Tip provided that you actually enjoyed the service.
Nevertheless, I encourage you to tip your guides, especially the spelunking guides. What they do each day isn’t straightforward. You’ll perceive this after you’ve accomplished it. It doesn’t need to be money on a regular basis. You possibly can invite them to hitch you for lunch.
Are there ATMs in Sagada?
YES. We’ve spotted a DBP ATM at the Police Station close to the junction. I’m unsure if there are others, however there’s at the very least one.
To make certain, ensure you have sufficient cash before arriving in Sagada. Greatest to withdraw or, for those who’re carrying a overseas foreign money, trade cash before you allow Manila or Baguio.